Friday, July 3

Do Good - Someone is Watching



Many things happened in my life and I haven't been blogging. Good news is I will be back! I have just booked my first SOLO trip and I am really excited! Have always been excited yet scared at the prospect of travelling alone, but I have decided not to let this fear stop me and just go ahead. I will be going to Bali, Ubud. I am intending to write from there, sharing with you valuable insights I have gained this past year. So stay tuned!

Today, I am dropping by for a quick sharing of something I saw which really touched me. Some background insight- My parents are now having their one-month long honeymoon to Europe, and this has left me and my siblings in charge of the house. One of my responsibilities include bringing my cute little dog, Puggy, for morning walks (yes, that's him in the photo above. Isn't he adorable? That's how he looks like when he is begging for food :D)

Anyway, back to the story. As I was bringing my dog down for his morning poo-poo and pee-pee, I saw a man in clutches. He was walking very slowly. Almost immediately, I recognized him as the sweeper/cleaner of my estate. He is an Indian foreign worker.



I was surprised to see him in clutches, and having so much difficulty walking. A wave of concern rushed over me. As a foreign labor, it is no joke to be injured in Singapore. I was glad his employer did not send him back immediately because of his injury. 

As I continued observing him, I realized he kept bending down trying to pick things up (my view was obstructed), and tossing it to one side. This caught my attention. Curious, I continued observing, one eye on him, one eye on my little pug.

Then, I saw him slowly limping towards a bush. What I saw next really touched me. There was a coke can in the midst of the bush and with some difficulty, he picked it up and limped towards the nearest dustbin to throw it away. It dawned upon me that he was picking up rubbish he saw to throw it into the bin. And he didn't have to.

I was really touched by the sight. Many of us, we take it for granted that someone will clean up after us, and we do not take responsibility in keeping our neighborhood clean. For this man, he is just a foreign worker, yet despite his injuries, he is still taking care and loving the environment, doing the best he could to keep our estate clean.

Through conversation with him later, I found out he suffered a bad fall while doing his duties and his bone had a hairline crack. However, it was recovering well and he said in about a month's time he would be able to get back to work.

I was glad to be able to witness this simple yet kind act. It is through moments like this that reconnects you back to your environment. We all have a part to play.
----------------------

Do good, because someone is watching, and just like how the kind act of the foreign worker inspired me to write this post and do my part of my neighborhood, your small act of kindness may inspire someone to do good as well, passing it on. 

It all starts with a spark. My challenge to you would be to do an act of kindness today.


This video is awesome and basically sums up the moral of the story. 

Enjoy and have a good day :D








No comments:

Post a Comment