Sunday, April 28

Doing the Real Work



And so I wanted to improve my presentation skills and I engaged a coach to work with me on this. After the session, my coach assigned me a homework- and that was to do 20 hours of drills, for a 3-min share.

That was equivalent to about practicing the same share for 750 times. What?!!

It sounded crazy and for the next few weeks, instead of diligently working towards my goal, I procrastinated. I put off practicing.

Even though I wanted to improve, every time I thought of the number of hours, I was put off and found something else to distract myself with instead. I was trying to focus on unimportant stuff and putting off the real work. I was avoiding pain and responsibility which is essential if I want to pursue my dreams and work toward my goal.

In the end, after 3 weeks, I only consciously drilled for one hour. I was hesitant and felt bad about myself. I was dreading class having not done my work.

During the class, as expected we were told to share. I was surprised that my coach did not ask me for the number of hours I put in, I guess she could tell from our shares whether we did our work. I shared, and I thankfully for that one hour of practice I was slightly better than the previous time. My coursemates were diligent in their practice and had improved a lot. I felt bad about myself.
That was when I had a realization. It was not about trying to do it to hit the hours. Whatever I did was for myself. I was accountable only to myself. If I did not do the work, no one will bear the repercussions except myself. I can lie to everyone but I cannot lie to myself. I owe it to myself to achieve the breakthrough, the results, the reason I engaged a coach in the first place. No one could do the work for me. They can only point me to the right direction.

Learning points

It was never about hitting the 750 hours. It was the process, the journey I go through to hit that, and the person I become along the way. If the work is intentional, I will be already reaping the rewards just by doing it. Personal growth. Likewise if I do not do the work, no one lose out except myself. I would have let myself down.

Application

Often times we work so hard in our lives to achieve our end goal, to be financially free, to be a successful figure, but that itself is just a goal to strive towards. What matters most is the journey to the destination.

The experiences you go through and people you meet along the way. Life would be meaningless if you were to get what you want right away without putting in the effort. The struggle is essential, the struggle helps us grow. Think of a caterpillar breaking out of its cocoon into a butterfly. Without the struggle, they will never emerge a butterfly. Or precious stones which are form under a high pressure, high heat environment.



We are all diamonds waiting to be polished. Many of us avoid the feeling of discomfort, not realizing it is exactly that which will bring the shine out in us.
The struggle is real. What are you willing to struggle for? Find something that makes the fight worthwhile.
So start creating the life you want and planning for experiences that lights up your heart...because there is no failure, just the journey, and every part of it makes your life uniquely yours.

No comments:

Post a Comment