Friday, April 19

Leipzig



Leipzig is in Germany and is a city 150 km south of Berlin. Although Leipzig is not as renowned as other German cities like Berlin and Munich, it bears its own charm. It is a place which carries historical significance and is where musician/composer Johann Sebastian Bach lived from 1723 to his death in 1750. This makes Leipzig a MUST-VISIT for fans of Bach and musicians.

For me, coming to Leipzig was entirely by chance. It was the destination assigned to me by Germanwings when we tried our luck at blindbooking

When you are in Leipzig, you will have to visit the Bach Museum. It is inspiring to learn about Bach's journey to become a world renowned musician/composer. Although I am not that into classical music, it's pretty cool visiting the church where he once played his music, and visiting the site where he was buried. I am in awe and respect for this man who, after more than 200 years of his death, his legacy lives on.

Posing with statue of Bach
Memorial of Bach
The church Bach used to play in
Another must-visit for me in Leipzig is the monument of Leipzig, also known as The Monument to the Battle of the Nations (GermanVölkerschlachtdenkmal), built to commemorate the Battle of Leipzig in 1813. Paid for mostly by donations and by the city of Leipzig, it was completed in 1913 for the 100th anniversary of the battle, at a cost of 6,000,000 Goldmark. ( Source: Wikipedia) 


This monument is said to stand on the spot of some of the bloodiest fighting, from where Napoleon ordered the retreat of his army.

This monument was where most of my memorable memories in Leipzig was formed. As you can see, the lake in front of the monument was frozen.  I was intrigued by the leaves and twigs frozen in the water. Initially, I was wary of stepping on the ice in fear that it would collapse anytime. But soon, I gained confidence and I was trying to slide around with my shoes. It was a memorable first for me! If only I had ice skates with me that day... :D

Kids playing on the frozen pond in front of the monument
We paid an entry fee and went to the top of the monument. The view was breathtaking! As you can see from the picture, it was a bit dusky. Probably it was because it was winter.




What I love about Leipzig is the culture of the place. It feels really artistic don't you think? Imagine walking along the streets and suddenly, you chance upon a piece of art work towering over you. And when that happened to me, like any excited tourist, I started snapping away!





All in all, I only spent 1 day in Leipzig. After visiting the sights, we got bored and so the next day, we took a train to Dresden, which was only 1 hour away.

No comments:

Post a Comment